The History of Hargill Elementary
Hargill, Texas is a small, one square mile, rural community in Hidalgo County 52 miles from the U.S. - Mexican border. Hargill's history dates back to the early 1900's when William A. Harding and Samuel Lamar Gill, formed a partnership known as the Harding-Gill Company for the purpose of land development. The name Hargill is the result of the consolidation of the last names of the two founders. In its inception, Hargill was a booming farming community with predominantly 450 Anglo-American residents. Currently, Hargill has approximately 877 residents, most of whom are Hispanic and must commute outside of Hargill for employment. Hargill School was constructed shortly after the community was established in 1920, making it one of the earliest schools in the Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District (ECISD). Hargill School originally housed students from kindergarten through eighth grade later redesigned as a K-5 grade campus and renamed Hargill Elementary. Currently, 415 students attend Hargill Elementary.